When a user feels that a fellow GameFAQs user has violated the ToS they can report it to a moderator for review via the Message Detail Button. When a user reports the message, it is considered a mark. The message in question is added to a queue and later reviewed by a moderator. As the site is far too big to make active policing by moderators a realistic possibility, GameFAQs relies on users marking violations in order to deal with them.
A user may only mark a particular message once; all marks after that, from the same user, will not show up in the moderation queue. If nothing is selected, it will not be sent to the queue either. The categories a user can be marked for are:
- Offensive: Sexually explicit/racist/hate speech and threats
- Censor Bypassing: Not completely obscuring offensive/banned words
- Trolling: Intending solely to annoy and/or offend other posters
- Flaming: Clear insults of other board users
- Advertising: Advertising Web Sites, Other Boards, For Sale/Rent/Trade
- Illegal Activities: ROM/Warez/MP3/Cracks Begging and/or Providing
- Spoiler with no Warning: Revealing critical plot details with no warning
- Disruptive Posting: ALL CAPS, large blank posts, multiple hard-to-read posts, mass bumping, etc.
- Off-Topic Posting: Topics outside of the board description (Can only be used on the first post in topics on boards with topicality)
Additionally, users have the option to choose "Other" and fill in their own reason for marking. The Other box can also be used when marking for any of the above categories; moderators still see it.
|Regular Moderations||No Action | Topic Lock | No Karma Loss | Notification | Warning | Suspension|
|Special Cases||Ban | Purgatory | Profile Wipe | Usermap Axe | Kill On Sight|
|Disputes||Dispute | Accept Moderation | Uphold | Relaxation | Overturn|
|Misc.|| Account Suicide | Generated Message | Mark | Marked Message Accuracy |