The Message Detail button provides a direct link to a specific message in a topic. It also provides extra options regarding this message which differ based on varying criteria.
Messag Detail Functions
Message Detail - Self
A user calling up the Message Detail screen for one of his own posts can:
- Delete their post.
- Edit the post, if it was made within the last hour.
- Delete their topic, if their post is the first in a topic with no other posts.
- Close their topic if their post is the first in a topic, the topic has multiple posts, and has not been posted in within the last five minutes.
Message Detail - Others
A user calling up the Message Detail screen for a post of another user can, depending on userlevel:
- Mark it for moderation if they believe it to be a TOS violation. (Level 20 required)
- Request that a topic be stickied. (Level 31 required)
- Ignore a user. (Level 31 required)
- Watch User or Request User as a Friend. (Level 20 required)
- Instamark - Mark message for moderation and go directly to the queue to handle the mark. (Level 51 required)
In the early years of the boards, users had separate links to delete their own message or to mark another user's message. To simplify the process, all message functions were combined into the Message Detail function.
A change in 2004 made it impossible to fully delete posts; before, if the user had the last post in the message list, he or she could fully delete it. This was used for "invisibumping," whereby a user simply deletes his or her previous post and then posts again. Now, the message is simply replaced with the same deletion message, and not removed from the boards.
On January 19, 2006, self-deleted messages were changed. A user now receives a "moderation" when deleting a post, which then goes into their "Deleted Message History" (a renamed form of the Moderation History), along with any moderations they receive. This change allows moderators to view self-deleted posts and moderate them if they are violations. Deleted posts purge in 14 days.
On October 20 2006, the Message Detail interface was revamped, providing a modernised, streamlined appearance.
|Regular Moderations||No Action | Topic Lock | No Karma Loss | Notification | Warning | Suspension|
|Special Cases||Ban | Purgatory | Profile Wipe | Usermap Axe | Kill On Sight|
|Disputes||Dispute | Accept Moderation | Uphold | Relaxation | Overturn|
|Misc.|| Account Suicide | Generated Message | Mark | Marked Message Accuracy |