Moderator Applications are held whenever the GameFAQs administrators feel that new moderators are needed. The latest application period began on June 20th, 2006, becoming the second time applications were to be sent in using the feedback system. The requirements during this period included:
- You must be a member of the GameFAQs boards in good standing for a period of 1 or more years
- You must have more than 350 karma
- You may not have any karma-loss violations on your account in the past 30 days
- If you have multiple accounts, or share accounts or a computer with others, every single associated account must be free of warnings, suspensions, or bans
- Your login e-mail address must be private and not publicly known
- Your personal account sign-up information must be valid
- You should explain below in the message space why you want to be a moderator, and why you feel that you are the right person for the position.
- At some point in your application message, you must include the word "defenestrate." This is a trick designed to quickly weed out people who didn't bother to read the requirements. The word previously used for this purpose was "angst."
The results of the previous round of applications were announced on August 29th, 2005 and 22 users were selected. The administration told rejected users that applications were likely to be held again later in 2005, but ultimately, this did not occur. On May 8th 2006, CJayC announced on The Daily Grind that moderator applications would be reopened. Unlike previous applications, the process is perpetual, providing the site with a pool of applicants ready to be promoted to Moderator status when needed.
On June 20th, 2006, CJayC announced on The Daily Grind that moderator applications were opened again as that day's Fix-a-Day. Interestingly, the applications were not announced on Message Board Announcements as with most site news; despite this, word of the event rapidly spread by discussion topics on various social boards and Message Board Help.
The new system of indefinitely-open moderator applications allows the administration to select new moderators in smaller groups whenever the need for additional staff arises. Since 2006, seven batches of moderators have been selected, numbering from as few as five to as many as 20.
- List of current and former GameFAQs moderators at KSOT's secondary board FAQ
- Moderator Application Feedback Ticket